Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cranberry Pecan Cake

December's cake of the month is the Cranberry Almond Cake from the Cake Keeper Cakes recipe book. This was a very simple batter cake to make. I loved the way the cake batter looked just going into the pan. There was quite a few cranberries in the cake (I think on the next time that I make this recipe, I will reduce the amount of berries.) I did not have almonds in the cabinet and didn't feel like a trip to the store so I used the chopped pecans instead. I like pecans better anyway so that substitution didn't bother me at all.


The cake was very delicious and will definitely be a repeat at our house.

Here is the recipe if you wish to try it out for yourself.


Cranberry Almond Cake from Cake Keeper Cakes
For the streusel:
•1 cup sliced almonds (I substituted chopped pecans)
•2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
•2 Tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
For the cake:

•2 cups all-purpose flour
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•3 large eggs
•2 cups granulated sugar
•3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
•1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
•1 bag (12 oz.) fresh cranberries
Make the streusel: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch round springform pan. (I had to use an 11x7 cake pan because I do not have a springform pan).

Combine the almonds (pecans), butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Work the mixture between your fingers to form large crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Make the cake: Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Combine the eggs and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on a medium high speed until the mixture is lightened and increased in volume, about 5 minutes.

With the mixture on low, add the butter in a slow stream. Turn the mixture to medium speed and beat for another 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.

Gently but thoroughly fold in the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. Stir in the cranberries.

Scrape the batter into a prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter. Bake the cake until it is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes (for the 11x7 glass pan -- I cooked it for an hour). Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Release the sides of the pan and use a large spatula to slide the cake from the pan bottom to a wire rack. Cool completely, cut into wedges and serve.

Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the cake!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, I bet the pecans on this were delicious! Great improvising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this cake too. It makes me glad that I froze a couple of extra bags of cranberries.

    ReplyDelete